With good, routine care and attention, your furniture will last longer, look better and feel more comfortable.
Getting the most out of your home furniture in Hilo, HI means taking proper care of it. While there are a few general care tips that anyone can follow—such as routinely vacuuming furniture or avoiding rough interaction—each unique piece you buy is going to have its own care requirements.
Take a look below for some general tips on caring for your furniture based on the material it’s made from.
Leather & Leather-Match
Leather is a long-lasting material that could maintain its integrity for as long as you live, given the right care! Follow these tips to keep leather looking great:
- Apply only the top, “sudsy” layer of an Ivory soap and water solution for spot cleaning only.
- Don’t place leather furniture in direct sunlight. Harsh UV rays break down leather.
- Blot spills quickly with a paper towel to prevent them from setting in the leather.
- Vacuum frequently with a soft bristle brush only.
- Have leather furniture reconditioned or professionally cleaned every 5 years.
Fabric is extremely comfortable, but susceptible to dirt, dust and debris becoming trapped in the fibers over time. To prevent buildups and breakdowns, follow these simple fabric care tips:
- Vacuum fabric often, using attachments to get into creases and seams.
- Blot up spills immediately and gently treat stains without rubbing them in deeper.
- Turn cushions routinely to prevent wear and settling.
- Avoid letting animals sit on couches and don’t smoke near fabric upholstery.
- Have fabric steam cleaned annually or once every couple of years.
Mattresses have uniquely specific care needs. The average mattress lasts 8 years, but requires extensive care to make it through that time. Be sure to follow all of the following care tips:
- Rotate, not flip, your mattress every 3-6 months to allow for even weight distribution.
- If possible, flip your mattress over every 6 months.
- Affix your mattress with a fitted protector or complete encasement solution to prevent bed bugs, allergen build-up, and liquid damage.
- Change and wash sheets monthly.
Following all of these care tips will put you in a position to preserve your furniture for longer, so you get the most out of your money and the best quality out of your investment.